On June 10, 1918, the matter of a new school building for the East Side Addition was brought before the School Board. It was decided a six or eight room unit would be built, and should open as soon as possible. Prior to the Board Meeting a bond election for $90,000.00 had passed

The first mention of the name “Roosevelt School” was made in the Board minutes of May 12, 1919. The first operational year of Roosevelt School, 1920-1921, saw many changes and modifications  In addition to the expected problems, school time was changed from Pacific to Mountain Time on December 4, 1920, in order to correspond with the change of time for the entire city.

In 1948, a four room addition was made to the east end of the building, compromised of two rooms upstairs and two rooms downstairs. In 1951, a three room addition was made for approximately $44,000.00. This addition was also added to the east end of the building. It was one story and was to house the kindergarten and two first grade classrooms.

Thanks to the March 2006 bond election, Roosevelt received a much needed renovation which took place during the 2010-2011 school year. In the fall of 2011, students returned to brand a new Roosevelt, complete with the following updates:

  • Lighting controls in each classroom to turn off bank of lights at windows when sufficient natural light is coming through
  • Exterior sun shades and reflective roof on building to alleviate heat gain
  • Carpeting made from remanufactured recycled goods
  • Water saving devices in the bathrooms
  • Full kitchen
  • Added resource room
  • Completely new Library
  • Fully ADA compliant, including a new elevator and map
  • All new desks, chairs, tables and other classroom furniture
  • Improved security